Table Of Contents
1. Meaning Of Republican System Of Government
2. Characteristics Of A Republican System Of Government
3. Difference Between Republicanism And Monarchy
Definition Of Republican System Of Government
A Republican form of government can be defined as a sovereign state headed by a president, elected for a fixed offices unlike a monarchy succession to the office of head of state is non-hereditary, but elective. It is a representative democracy in which government is by the consent of the people. The first was between 1963 and 1966 and second was between 1979 and 1983 and the third was aborted and the fourth was 1999-2003. Cameroon, Niger, Chad, U.S.A, India etc are examples of republican government.
Characteristic Of A Republican Government
1. Popular Representation: It is a government based on popular representation. Different interest in the society are represented by elected representatives.
2. Popular Election: Succession to different political offices is through election.
3. Periodic Election: Election are usually periodic in some political system, It could be every four or five years as the case may be.
4. Equality Of Citizen: The citizens have equal opportunity to vote or to contest any elective post in the system.
5. Popular Sovereignty: Popular sovereignty is with the people. The people have the ultimate power to elect their political leaders.
6. Political Responsibility: The political leaders must be responsible and accountable to the people they are ruling.
7. Rule Of Law: This is the supremacy of the constitution and rules must be abide by its provision.
Difference Between Republicanism And Monarchy
1. Head of state is the president in Republicanism. While The monarchy (king, queen, emperor) is the head of state in Monarchy.
2. In Republican: He is popularly elected by the people. While In Monarchy: He is not elected, but ascension to the throne is hereditary.
3. The president stays in office for a fixed term in Republican. While There is no fixed term in Monarchy.
4. Elected representative are responsible and accountable to the people In Republican. While Representatives or officials in government are mostly appointed and therefore not responsible to the people in Monarchy.
5. In Republican: There are limitation to the exercise of power by the political leader. While Limitations to the exercise of power are in constitutional monarchy but not in absolute monarchy.
6. In Republican: Leaders abide by the provision of the constitution. While In Absolute Monarchy: the powers of the head of state are absolute. He does not lead to abide by the provision of the constitution. In fact, He is the law himself.
Table Of Contents