MEANING OF PERISHABLE FOOD
Perishable food is food that is easy to spoil. Perishable foods include meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and fruits.
Bacteria can cause food spoilage.
Perishable food storage
Cold storage refers to the preservation of food in the refrigerator.
- You should keep fresh meat and fish in the freezer
- You can also store fresh fruits and vegetables, such as tomatoes, pepper, or washed bitter leaves, in the freezer
- You can also store soups, stews, and other cooked food in the freezer
- You should store bread in a bread bin or lower portion of your refrigerator.
- Fresh poultry eggs should be kept in the lower part of the refrigerator. Some refrigerators have egg trays and crates
- Fruits and vegetables should be stored in plastic containers or nylon bags in the lower part of the refrigerator. You should not store them for too long as they can lose their taste and color.
- Some fruits and vegetables can be kept outside the refrigerator in cool, dry conditions for a brief period.
- Perishable foods can also be preserved in refrigerators and freezers. Vegetables can also be dried and stored.
Non-perishable food is food that doesn’t spoil easily. These foods can last long if handled properly but may lose their quality if left unattended.
Beans, rice, sugar, and spices are all non-perishable. These foods are stored in food storage containers.
Food storage containers These containers can be used to store food at room temperature, in a refrigerator, or the freezer. These containers can be used to store food:
- Plastic bags: These are used to store food in the fridge, freezer, room, or cupboard. You can choose from different sizes, and some are sealable.
- Glass containers: They are mostly made of clear, frosted glass. These containers can store groundnut, grind pepper, and ogbono as well as crayfish, egusi, ogbono, and crayfish.
- Plastic food containers are available in many shapes and sizes. They also come in different thicknesses. These containers are sealed with air-tight lids to prevent moisture loss in the freezer, refrigerator, or cupboards. They don’t break easily and can be used to store dried grains like maize, beans, rice, etc., as well as liquids such as cooking oil, liquids, and other food ingredients, such as salty, crayfish, etc.
- Bags and jute bags: These are used to store dried grains such as maize, beans, rice, or garri. You can also fumigate the storeroom to kill pests and add dried pepper to food.
- Bin storage: This includes drums, tins, and molded pots used to store grains in the household.
- Basket: Some food, such as kola nut, etc., can be stored in a basket
- Canning is preserving food items in hygienic conditions, such as airtight cans or tins.
- Food store: These rooms are located near the kitchen and are used to store food. They are sometimes fumigated to eliminate pests.
The differences between perishable foods and non-perishable foods
The table below shows the differences between perishable foods and non-perishable foods.
|S/NO||PERISHABLE FOOD||NON-PERISHABLE FOODS|
|1||Perishable foods are food that can spoil quickly||These foods are hard to spoil.|
|2||They can’t be kept for long periods of time||If stored correctly, they can be kept for a very long time|
|3||Perishable foods include fresh fruits, fresh fish, and meats, as well as vegetables such as fresh tomatoes, fresh pepper, etc||These include yams, maize beans, sugar, flour, etc|
|4||These foods can’t be purchased in bulk.||These foods can also be purchased in bulk|
Perishable foods are susceptible to spoilage, such as fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, and fresh meats. Cold storage is a good option for perishable foods. For example, fresh fruits and vegetables can be kept in the refrigerator, freezer, or open environment.
Non-perishable food is food that does not easily spoil, such as beans, rice, and dried fish. Non-perishable foods can be stored inside food storage containers such as plastic bags, glass containers, bags, or jute sacs.
Perishable food cannot be stored for very long, while non-perishable can.
- Three examples of food that can easily spoil are __________
- Are you looking for non-perishable foods?
- You can see the 4 main differences between perishable and non-perishable foods in a tabular format.