Table Of Contents
- Factors That Hinder The Operation Of Democracy
- Condition Necessary For The Success Of Democracy In The State
Factors That Hinder The Operation Of Democracy
The factors are:
1. Interference On The Electoral Commission: This commission should be allowed to perform their duties without fear or favour, for it’s interference hinders free and fair elections.
2. Illiteracy And Ignorance: This is another factor that hinder democracy because it prevents them from performing their civic duties of voting during elections.
3. Absence Of A Free Fair Press: When there is absence of a free and fair press that enlighten the citizens and expose the needed information, democracy is affected.
4. Coups That Usher In Military Rule: This hinder democracy because the constitution is nearly suspended.
5. Rivalry Among Nigerian Ethnic Group: This occurs during elections and can eventually lead to majority domination to the minority.
6. Absence Of Independence And Impartial Judiciary: This hinder democracy especially in adjustication of election petitions.
7. The desperation to win election by politicians and leaders with selfish or individual interest can also hinder the successful operation of democracy.
Condition Necessary For The Success Of Democracy
The condition necessary for the success of democracy includes:
1. Good Governance: There must be in place a good government tested and acceptable leadership.
2. Enlightenment: For effective and popular participation, there is need for a well informed educated and enlightened electorate.
3. Rule Of Law: Both government and the people should show respect for rule of law and the government should be organised based on the provision of the constitution.
4. Opposition: The government must be ready to tolerate different opposition groups for the successful operation of democracy.
5. Independence Of Judiciary: The executed and the legislative bodies should not interfere with the affair of the judiciary, they should be allowed to discharged the duties without fear or favour.
6. Free And Fair Election: The conduct of election should be free and fair to exercise their franchise.
7. Supremacy Of The Constitution: The constitution still remain supreme. The leaders and citizens must be ready to abide by the provision of the constitution.