Tables Of Contents
1. Meaning Of Contentment
2. Attributes Of Contentment
3. Effects Of Lack Of Contentment
Meaning Of Contentment
Contentment is an attribute of the mind which makes a person satisfied with what he/she has and to live within that means. It is a feeling of acceptance of one’s condition, which may not be good but cannot be easily changed.
Poor student lives within the means provided by their parents. He is not distracted by neighbors’ affluence; He does not take to a lifestyle beyond his means and capability. The spirit of contentment makes a student from poor parental background satisfied with the little his parent provides and completely favorably with a student from a richer background, all citizens.
However, contentment does not mean that one’s situation feels happy and satisfied, even when one can work hard to change it for the better.
Attributes Of Contentment
- Satisfaction: A contented person is satisfied with what he has, no matter what he obtains. A good child would like to live within the means of his parents. He should be satisfied to get on, even in difficulties or deprivations.
- Lack Of Envy: A contented person does not envy others because he is satisfied with what he has. He does not get jealous of another person who is better off.
- Abhorrence Of Greed And corruption: To abhor is to hate something because it is bad. A contented man is not greedy. He does not steal or cheat people to be great or rich; He shuns all corrupt practices.
- Humility: He is humble and level-headed, i.e., not full of himself. He respects other people’s status and achievements. He does not also lose his head because of his success.
Effects Of Lack Of Contentment On Society
Lack of contentment among citizens is an “I’ll wind that blows the society no good.”
- It promotes a culture of greed, cheating, and other social vices like examination malpractice, fraud, and embezzlement of public funds.
- It promotes corruption and the get-rich-quick style of life. It makes those entrusted with leadership embezzle public funds meant for community development.
- It promotes criminal engagement ad individuals to go into all activities, such as human trafficking, drug trafficking, and armed robbery, to make money.
- It encourages the domination of immorality as young girls and women get involved in prostitution to make money.
- It encourages the domination of individuals over others and group over their fellows to gain an unmerited advantage. This is the root cause of ethnicity in Nigeria.
List and explain five effects of lack of contentment in society.
- Corruption of all forms, such as bribery, fraudulent advance fees, online-related fraud, and more.
- Belief in the power of greed, cheating, and robbery.
- Stealing from fellow citizens and public money.
- Assassination and political brutality because people want to power through all means.
- Morally deficient and refusing to work hard to earn money can cause prostitution and human trafficking, drug use, smuggling, and ritual murders.
- Financial embarrassment is due to people spending more money than they earn.
The major ethnic group in Nigeria should live and let others live. The nation’s wealth, including employment opportunities and resources, should be evenly distributed in the interest of peace.