Question And Answer On Community Leadership Roles
- Why Are Community Leaders Important In The Society?
- List Five Nigerian Societies And The Names Their Traditional Rules Are Called
- Can A Community Stay Without A Leader?
- List The Roles Of Community Leaders
- Why Are Leaders Called The Link Between The Community?
- List Seven Qualities Of A Community Leader
Why Are Community Leaders Important In The Society?
The community leaders are important in the society for peace and co-operation to be ensured in the society And without peace, the community will be in chaos and confusion.
List Five Nigerian Societies And The Names Their Traditional Rulers Are Called
Some traditional communities in Nigeria and the names their leaders are called are as follows:
1. Igbo call their leaders Eze or Igwe.
2. Hausa call their leader Emir or Sariki.
3. The Yoruba call theirs Oba.
4. The Nupe Call theirs Etsu.
5. The Call theirs Obong.
Can A Community Stay Without A Leader?
A community cannot stay without a leader, because when there is no leader the community will behave anyhow they want.
List The Roles Of Community Leaders
The roles of the community leaders in their communities are very important so as to ensure peaceful co-existence of members which in turn brings progress. Some of their roles include:
1. Settlement Of Disputes: In the community, disputes or disagreement arises between two or more people or groups. It could be personal, land or marriage disputes. It is the leader’s duty to settle them and ensures that peace returns.
2. Ensuring Peace: It is the leader’s duty to ensure that members live in peace and that their need are being provided. They try to stop anything that will lead to conflicts in the community.
3. They Organize Community Work: It is the community leader that leads members in keeping the community clean. Members can be led to construct local roads and bridges for their benefit.
4. Link Between The Government And The Community: The leaders reach the government on behalf of the people. If the community needs certain amenities like schools, hospitals, good roads etc. It is the leaders who will present these demands to the government. Also any vital information to the communities reaches them through the community leaders.
Why Are Leaders Called The Link Between The Community And The Government?
The reason is because the leaders reach the government on behalf of the people, And as well, vital informations from Government to the communities reaches them through community leaders.
List Seven Qualities Of A Community
Before a leader can command the respect of members of his community, he must be endowed with certain qualities which include:
1. Intelligence: Usually, leaders are intelligent people. Their intelligence will help them to distinguish the good from the bad at any given time. They are careful listeners and understands situations easily. This helps in their judgements.
2. Wisdom: Leaders are always filled with wisdom. They give good advice and make sensible decisions. This is largely because of the knowledge and experience which they have acquired over the years. This wisdom helps them in settling disputes correctly.
3. Caring: They show love to members of their community. The welfare of their members is their priority as much as they can, They provide for their community members.
4. Courage: Leaders should be fearless people. They should be able to face pains and oppositions, once they are on the side of the truth. He should have the courage to tell the erring person to his face that he is guilty not minding his status in the community.
5. Integrity: Leaders should have strong moral principles and be firm in taking decisions. Deceit is not in their character. They are honest and live by what they say.
6. Patience: Leaders are also patient people. They know that the community consists of people with various backgrounds. Provocative behaviour and insinuations occasionally filters in. They are able to overlook them without becoming angry so as to find out the truth.
7. Honesty: They are always honest people. Telling the truth always without hiding it. They do not cheat or break the law. They are truthful people.