Table Of Contents
- Meaning Of Civic Education
- Objectives Of Civic Of Civic Education
- The Importance Of Civic Education
- The Need For Civic Education
- Different Ways Of Learning Civic Education
Introduction To Civic Education
Civic Education curriculum was introduced for the Universal Basic Education Programme in Nigeria, for the following reasons:
1. Building a great nation with good, and active citizens who know what is happening around them.
Meaning Of Civic Education
What is civic education?
The word ‘Civic’ is a Greek word which simply means citizens of a city or an area. This, therefore, means that civic education is a careful decision by the government o teach different political communities or states, some kind of knowledge, facts, skills, abilities, things that are acceptable to the society; events and the acceptable values/attitudes or behaviours necessary for an active and useful life in building a balanced nation.
Civic education is that form of education which is primarily designed and organized in content and function so as to produce good and useful people who know what events happen in the state and the goings-on in the country and beyond.
The main aim of civic education is the ability to develop and change young people into effective, responsible, good and informed people (those who knows what happens within and outside the government) who are useful to their country.
Objectives Of Civic Education
There are so many reasons why we study civic education. These include:
1. Developing (teaching) and transforming (changing) the youths of Nigeria into effective and responsible citizens by making them law-abiding.
2. Making young people learn and accept the values, the usual and expected (norms), knowledge, actions and activities that will help Nigeria achieve her millennium (New Era) Development Goals (MDGs).
3. Through the study of civic education, the student will learn about systems and institutions of government and democratic principles and processes, etc.
4. The knowledge of civic education leads to improvement in the quality of leadership and followership.
5. Civic education promotes social and political awareness in students enabling them contributes positively in the society.
Importance Of Civic Education
Civic education is a core compulsory secondary school subject which is designed to perform some functions that are necessary. The importance of civic education in the secondary school curriculum (planned activites) is the production of good and responsible citizens, who will become nation builders and leaders, etc.
The importance are discussed below:
1. This subject makes governance easy and teaches the citizens government programmes policies and activities.
2. It creates political, economic and social awareness in the people, thereby making them to know what is happening around them internally and globally.
3. It is one of the important ways of rebranding of Nigeria at the secondary school level and enhancing a great nation with good people living in it.
4. Throught the knowlege of civic education, the Nigerian globalization process and millennium Development Goals will be achieved.
5. It teaches us the benefits of being law-abiding citizens of our country.
6. Civic eduction teaches us to be aware of our rights as citizens, the right of others, our duties to our nation and othe individual members of the society.
7. Civic Education inculcate values to individuals.
The Need For Civic Education
1. It is for public education and awareness.
2. To understand democratic principles and process of civic rights and responsibilities.
3. To take care of our democracy and to keep it healthy and durable.
4. To put into students the values of loyalty, respect and patriotism.
5. Civic Education teaches the rights of citizens as provided by the government: health, justice, security, freedom, franchise (Right to vote and be voted for).
Different Ways Of Learning Civic Education
There aremany methods of studying Civic education which can arouse interest and bring excitement and joy to the students while trying to grasp the concept of the Subject.
Here are some of the useful hints on how best to study this all-important subject (Civic Education):
1. Reading Books: Students of Civic Education must be prepared to read books that is related to civic. They should embibe reading culture, particularly on current issues and event in and around the country.
2. Reading Print Media Materials: Reading newspaper, magazines, journals, articles, seminar and conference papers and other writeups. These are source of current issues and events happening on the national and international scene.
3. Listening to and watching educative programmes.
4. Observation And Interview: In civic education, students can learn a lot of observation of what is happening in their homes, schools, neighbourhood, communities, markets, internets, streets, ceremonie, etc.
5. Organization of class activities: The students are bound to learn so much through this mean under the guidance of th teacher.